Why do I get angry so easily?

Sometime when small thing happen, like losing a comb, I get furious. I even start throwing things. Do I have a problem?

Linda Mullin
Linda Mullin
Kicking anxiety and depression to the curb!
Anger does have its place.  When anger is experienced often or the magnitude of it does not fit the scenario, such as your losing comb, the question becomes, what does losing that comb mean to you?  In the very split second that you have realized the comb is missing, there is a reaction that occurs within you, accompanied by an image or thought that like lightening flashes so quickly that you may not be aware what it is.  As Sherry noted below, awareness.  Awareness is fundamental.  Becoming aware of ourselves and what is happening internal that sparks it off.  The next time you feel angry from a "small thing", stop and ask yourself, why am I angry that this is lost?  Find out what you are thinking or how you are speaking to yourself.  You will become aware and once you are aware, steps can be taken to alter the experience for the better. A professional can assist with that!

Sonya Wilson
Sonya Wilson
Licensed Professional Counselor

I don't like the word "problem".  It is such a strong word.  However I would say that you have an issue that needs to be addressed and controlled before it directed at the wrong person and gets totally out of control.  I have found that anger management classes has been helpful for my clients.  Try and see if it will help.  You will be surprised at what you learn about your self.

Anyone who asks whether or not they have a problem, usually feels at least partly, that they do have a problem.

Your answer to the question is what matters.

Since you already understand that your reaction is overstated to the events which trigger them, the reactions you're having are more than likely anger that is leftover from past events, either in the near or distant past.

Be aware, consider, reflect on  how you usually handle feeling angry.  

Based on your description here, it is quite likely that the anger you show toward what you call "little things" reflect anger at much bigger matters that are uncomfortable and not easy to understand.

Knowing more about the more significant matters causing frustration for you, may very likely decrease reacting angrily toward smaller matters.