Why am I with my husband if he is mean?

I love him, but he doesn’t show me love. He talks badly about me to his friends.

Lovener Wightman
Lovener Wightman
NYC Counseling

What you are describing is a state of abandonment like no other; a direct lack of respect. The challenge here is: you cannot control another person no matter how hard you try. The only person that you have control of is yourself. So then the question that this reality poses is: What are you willing to change? If you love yourself and know that you have tremendous value, if you can see what you bring to a relationship and that you deserve respect and love and tenderness, then you will get to a point where you will settle for nothing less than that. The change that might be necessary in yourself is to change the way you see yourself, the way you treat yourself and what you accept. Your husband also needs to change and that is something only he can do for himself but reaching out to get help as well. It would be helpful for you both to get help because there is damage on both parts. You have much more power than you realize and talking with someone can help you to hone that power and make a difference in your own life. Sometimes, the difference/change can be walking away from a bad situation or it can simply be changing your attitude and raising the bar. Sometimes our loved ones come with us on the elevation, and sometimes they get left behind.  You must do some deep introspection through therapy to get to the point where you can answer this question for yourself.

Robin Landwehr, DBH, LPCC, NCC
Robin Landwehr, DBH, LPCC, NCC
Mental Health in a Primary Care Setting

Hello, and thank you for your question. Loving someone who doesn’t respect or treat you well can be enormously difficult and painful.

Many people who find themselves in an emotionally hurtful relationship say that it was wonderful when it first started, but that over time their partner’s behaviors changed and they became emotionally or physically abusive.

I want to say right away that it is not your fault in any way if someone is abusive to you. It does not mean that you are broken or that there is something wrong with your character if you have not left the situation. People stay for many reasons, such as fear, finances, children, pressure from others, and love.

Many people have had to leave their abusive partners who they still love to preserve their own safety and regain the sense of self they may have lost. It is a very difficult thing to do, even if you know it is the right thing.

The person who really needs to take a hard look at themselves is the person doing the abusing.

It is very common for mental and emotional abuse to wear away at someone’s self-esteem. This can lead to other problems, like depression and anxiety. These issues sometimes require professional support to manage, such as a counselor or perhaps a doctor who may prescribe medication.

A counselor may be able to help you sort through your fears and concerns about staying or leaving. To look at things from different angles, and to help you decide what is best for you.

You have not said that your husband has been physically abusive to you, but if that has been the case, then you must consider your physical safety first. Leaving an abusive relationship is the most dangerous time. Getting help from professionals would be critical, and I would recommend your local domestic violence program.

Whatever you decide to do is the right thing for you. I would encourage you to ask yourself honestly about your reasons for staying and the barriers that may keep you from going. You do deserve to be happy and emotionally safe. If you do not feel like you have that safety, then seeking someone to help you sort through these things is a good plan.

I wish you well.

Robin J. Landwehr, DBH, LPC, NCC

Sonya Wilson
Sonya Wilson
Licensed Professional Counselor

So many questions comes to mind when I read your words...Do you love yourself?  What do you LOVE about him?  What are you getting from this relationship that is good for you?  What are you lacking in yourself that you allow yourself to be treated this way?....I can go on..

If you can answer these questions, maybe you will answer your own question of WHY are you with your husband or even better, WHY you ALLOW your husband to be mean, show no love, disrespect you?  You seem to lack self-worth...seek a professional to help you with this.