What should I do about my marriage and my wife's behavior?

My wife and I got separated because I asked about her contact with a male friend of hers. The next day, she kicked me out. She let me move back two days later. Yesterday, she said she wanted a divorce then quickly changed her mind. I asked if the other guy was a factor, but she says it's not my business.

Anna McElearney
Anna McElearney
Helping Couples Build Stronger Relationships

When "threats" of leaving, such as what you described in your question ("kicking you out, wanting divorce") are continuous in your marriage, it can start to erode at the foundation of your relationship, impacting both partners. And, if you're concerned about the influence of another male in the relationship, and are unable to express your concerns or fears to your wife, it's extremely difficult to build a secure functioning relationship. 

From the information provided in your question, it seems as if there is some avoidance evident in your relationship. Avoidance of being able to express yourself and have honest communication about your relationship. If your wife is willing, I would recommend seeing a marriage counselor to help you both during this time. Or, for you to talk with an individual therapist, if marriage counseling isn't an option.  

Lauren Ostrowski, MA, LPC, NCC, BC-TMH, CCTP, CCH

This has to be very confusing.

I wonder if the two of you would be able to have a conversation about what it is that she would like you to know about what happened yesterday and the day before so you know what message she wanted you to get out of all of that.

I would also recommend seeing a local mental health professional. If you go yourself, you could at least discuss your marriage and your own thoughts and feelings about it. If you go together, I would suggest you see a therapist who specializes in couples.

Divorce is a serious, life altering decision.

It is best to decide any serious matter through reflection and discussion.

Start by knowing what you want from the marriage and why you are willing to move in or out of your own house because your wife tells you to do this.

Each of you would benefit from more clarity of what you expect and would like from each other.

Does your wife want a boyfriend in addition to the marriage to you?

Is she willing to drop the male contact?

Does she care how you feel about her contact with the other guy?

You need answers and knowledge about the definition of your marriage.

Since there are many areas to open, all of which are filled with emotion, including pain, if you're not able to make satisfactory progress then a licensed couples therapist may be useful to you and your partner.