My friend had lied about every aspect of her life—what do I do?

She has lied about every aspect of her life. She's created three fake relationships. The most recent one is concerning because she has fake photos, phone calls, and text messages, and it’s with a married man with kids. Her lying is becoming dangerous because she could ruin lives.

Is being friends with this person safe for you?

Liars don't generally distinguish who they bring down with them or in service to themselves.

Step one is to understand a true friendship, which is based on trust, is probably not possible with this person.

If you'd like to offer words of advice to protect her from herself then try gently pointing out that some of her actions which you know about, may come around to harm her.

There is only a small chance she will be open to hearing you.

People who lie are also very fearful of trusting others, including themselves.  She may prefer to keep status quo than open her own emotional pain to understand what created the need to lie in the first place.

Sobha Vakhariya
Sobha Vakhariya
Oakland County Psychotherapist

Have an honest and open conversation with her about how her behavior is negatively impacting you ( and others).  You will feel good knowing you did the right thing.  

To be honest, I think more information would be really important here because what you are asking could have a lot of different meanings. Consider making an appointment with a local therapist to discuss what you are going through.