My boyfriend says he needs time to think about us

I found out my boyfriend takes anti-depression medicine. Lately he's been saying he has a lot on his mind, and he needs time to think about us. We've only been dating 3 weeks but I like him a lot.

Sonya Wilson
Sonya Wilson
Licensed Professional Counselor

Give him the time and space he needs.  Obviously something is going on with him that he needs time to process, think about, and work through.  Respect that most men are not talkers but more thinkers.  If and when he is ready to talk, he will.  When and if he does talk, be a comforting listener and put yourself in his shoes the best you can to be the support he needs.  Don't take it personal because you just been dating 3 weeks and his depression maybe something that been going on for a while.  If you do like him...showing him by being patient and supportive at this time.

Your boyfriend may like you a lot as well.

People have different styles of reflecting on their lives, one of which is to retreat the way you describe your boyfriend doing.

One point you can consider is asking for a time frame of when he'd be ready to discuss his thoughts on your relationship.

He's entitled to retreat, as much as you're entitled to talk.

Cooperating with the other person's way of handling themselves is one aspect of relating.

Since the anti-depressants are a concern for you, consider bringing up this topic when the two of you do talk.

Mark Morris, LCSW
Mark Morris, LCSW
Therapist and Author of Living Yes

This seems like two questions.  The first is what may have happened to prompt him to back off.  The second is what it means to you to have a boyfriend who takes anti-depression medication who says he has "a lot on his mind."  Both give you opportunity to look at yourself.  

Having expectations can be a huge trap.  I write about this extensively in the first chapter of my book Living Yes (www.LivingYes.org).  Is there any way that you can enjoy your time together without expecting anything down the road?  Are there wonderful lessons for you to take from the relationship - even if it only lasts three weeks?  Can you create a mindset of gratitude for what is and let the future expectations (and future demands) go?  Are there new ways to communicate that might bring you together?  What are the lessons for you about allowing the relationship to develop its own course on its own time?  Again, let go of all expectations, and see what happens. That's what "Living Yes" requires.

I am sure this will work out well for you - either with him or without him.  ~Mark  (www.MarkMorrisLCSW.com and www.LivingYes.org)