Is it possible to get PTSD from being very depressed?

I have manic depression and last summer was very very bad. I have recurring nightmares and I avoid anything that will give me a similar feeling as I did that summer.

Mark Morris, LCSW
Mark Morris, LCSW
Therapist and Author of Living Yes

A PTSD diagnosis requires an event which occurred at least 6 months prior to the symptoms.   Depression is a common symptom of PTSD, but depression can come from many other sources as well.  

In the end, diagnoses are systems of behavioral labels.  If you believe that one label (PTSD) is worse than another (Depression), you are creating a false hierarchy.   

Consider consulting a CBT therapist, such as the fine clinicians listed in AcademyofCT.org.  

You may also want to look at my book, Living Yes, for many ideas about challenging your thinking and improving you mood. www.LivingYes.org. 

I hope you feel better soon.  ~Mark  (www.MarkMorrisLCSW.com and www.LivingYes.org)

Eric Ström, JD, MA, LMHC
Eric Ström, JD, MA, LMHC
Attorney & Licensed Mental Health Counselor

In general, the answer is no. Depression can not not generally cause PTSD. 

Your question does make a lot of sense, though. Depression is a common symptom of PTSD. 

A counselor in your area should be able to help you what's going on - either feelings of depression, PTSD, or both.