Is it normal to cry at therapy?

Is it normal for people to cry during therapy, or is it just me?

Yes, definitely crying is normal during therapy.   Anyone in the midst of new awareness of how they've been hurt, or feel despair or great sadness from burdensome life situations, naturally will feel tears come up.

Therapists are familiar with people crying during a session and will know how to be present for you while you sort through your painful emotions.

Dawn M. Reilly, Psy.D.
Dawn M. Reilly, Psy.D.
It's never too late

Therapy is by nature a safe place to discuss difficult, or painful memories or experiences and thereby it is normal that feelings of all kinds, including sadness, loss, frustration, disappointment, etc may arise.  This is part of processing and bringing closure to things that may have been pushed aside for a lifetime and can now be faced and dealt with.  Change too is often not easy, and can lead to crying, whether from frustration and set back...or also from joy and accomplishment!

Lisa Jones
Lisa Jones
Licensed Professional Counselor
This is a great question! I often wonder about what normal really means. Counseling is a personal process where many emotions can be experienced by people. I I do not believe it is just you who cries in therapy. Therapy can bring out many emotions such as laughter, anger, frustration, relief, grief, sadness, and many more emotions. Talking to your counselor about your experience might provide insight and healing for you. If crying surprised you and you feel comfortable that might be something you could bring up with your counselor. 
Cory Ian Shafer LPC
Cory Ian Shafer LPC
Psychotherapist, Jungian, Hypnotherapy

Yes, it is normal to cry during therapy, it is a time of catharsis, letting things out, shedding our skin, dropping our weights and just to let you know, even therapists sometimes feel like crying in sessions. Although people often cry or become upset, it is in no way a measure of "good therapy".

C

Gary  Mayne, MA LMHCA
Gary Mayne, MA LMHCA
Caring and Confidential Counseling

It is very routine to feel all of the different emotions in therapy.   I have had clients cry in therapy out of happiness, sadness, love, joy, and from laughing so hard!  Yes, crying is a normal part of therapy for many people.