I think my friend might have depression

She has trouble falling and staying asleep and she's always either extremely hungry or not hungry at all. She also gets angry and feels like crying really easily for no reason. She says she is always "kind of down."

Is this depression? What can I do to help her?

Ian Palombo
Ian Palombo
#ThoughtMediator & #LifeUntangler

Do you feel heavy with despair, struggling each day to keep your head just above the darkness and dread? Does it take every ounce of energy to stay afloat? Or are you feeling overwhelmed by feelings of helplessness and hopelessness? If this sounds familiar, we want you to know that you are not alone and therapy for depression could help.

While it may seem difficult to find your way back to hope and happiness, therapists have  been helping clients to personally do just that for years. To experience the joy of warm sunshine on their face, to reconnect with estranged loved ones, and to re-engage with a meaningful life.

Just like other chronic illnesses, depression is not your fault, it’s nothing you’ve caused. And also like many other illnesses, effective treatments exist to help ease and eliminate the struggles you face.

If you’ve said or thought these things a lot recently: 

• “I’m too tired to try.”
  • “I don’t want to leave home.”
  • “I don’t care anymore.”
  • “Why am I always crying?”
  • “I don’t even know who I am any more.”

Or even, “I wish I wasn’t here.” Then there are proven steps and therapies that can help you get remarkable relief. Therapy for depression can bring you hope, help and a way forward. Visit denvermhc.com to read more.  

Sounds like signs of someone who is depressed.

Since the person in question is your friend, offer your friendship to listen to any situations or feelings she has about herself and the way her life is going.

Depressed people are often lonely people and feel as though no one around them cares or notices them.  Your willingness to be available to her may lift her spirits.  Feeling loved goes a long way to dissolving depressed feelings.

Also, if in the beginning when you offer to talk, there is a high chance she'll be defensive and turn down your offer.

Try again on another day and then another day.

When people feel depressed they usually shut down.  So you may need a few or several tries before your friend accepts your offer to show her you care about how she is doing.

Also, watch for signs within yourself that your friends' depression is not sinking your emotions.  Depressed people are draining to be around because they often see and talk about only the negatives and drawbacks of situations.