I just lost my grandpa

I just lost my grandpa and i'm having a rough time with it.

I need some help to deal with the loss, but I don’t think I can pay for counseling. Where Can I get help?

I'm sorry your grandpa died.

Good for you to write on this site about wanting help to know how best to live with this new loss.

Have you looked online for blogs and forums about adjusting to a recent death?  

That you know you'd like another person to help you adjust, is a good sign of your own mental health stability.

It is possible that reading online blogs and discussion forums, writing on these if you feel like doing so, and possibly joining a local free support group, will be all you need to feel better.

There is no set timeline in grief.   Let yourself take as much time as you feel is best for you.

Cynthia Finefrock
Cynthia Finefrock
Assisting with neurodiversity, autism, ADHD, depression, anxiety, and trauma.
Solemnity for your loss. There may be free counseling services in your area. I would recommend researching nonprofit organizations near you. I wonder if there could be free grief support groups online or at churches near you. Take care of yourself, and reach out to others for support when you need it.
Crystal Robinson
Crystal Robinson
It's okay not to be okay!

You have my condolences. I would suggest your local Hospice as they offer free counseling services. If you come across someone that you feel may be able to help you process the grief, inquire about pro bono services or sliding scale. 

Rachelle Burrell
Rachelle Burrell
What you have to say matters

I'm sorry about your grandpa.  I suggest that you contact your local hospice.  They often have individual or group counseling that is free or has a minimal fee.  Many churches offer grief groups.  Also, there are organizations such as Open Path that help people to access affordable counseling.  There are also many books on grief including workbooks.  You might try looking in the library.  In the meantime, practice good self-care and surround yourself with supportive people. 

So sorry for the loss of your grandpa. 

It is a brave thing to reach out for support. I'm not sure where you live, but where I live the different hospice organizations offer free grief groups. You do not have to have a connection with the hospice to receive support. During the pandemic, many of these groups have moved online. Perhaps, you can search on google for the hospices in your area. This is one that is in my area. https://www.trucare.org/adult-grief-support-groups/. 

David Kessler also has a private Facebook group for those dealing with loss. https://www.facebook.com/groups/DavidKessler. A member of that Facebook community may be able to point you to services in your community.

I would also encourage you to share your feelings with people who are supportive in your life. Sometimes people have a hard time talking about death and grief. However, there may be some people who can be around others who are in pain. Those may be the people who can sit with you while you share your feelings (without their needing to do anything except be there for you).

You may find comfort and some relief by reading books geared towards your particular loss. When my mother died, it really helped to read books by others who's mother died too. It was nice to feel that somebody was understanding what I was going through.

Lastly, it is important to be gentle and kind with yourself during this challenging time. You take care!

Dr. Meredyth Lawrynce
Dr. Meredyth Lawrynce
Serving Clients Nationwide

You have my deepest condolences!  It is hard to lose someone you love, was close!  Remembering the good times and wrapping yourself in those warm memories.  Think of your grandpa in his totality, all the things about him, so you remember the entire essence of him. Perhaps you could write to him, saying what you would want to say and maybe even going so far as to think and respond in a way that he would.  Feeling your feelings, do not stuff them down, your feelings are valid. Grief is handled differently, experienced uniquely for each person.  This thought also helps, see the graphic I am adding, please.  Take him with you in your heart as you move forward in your life. Also, there are places to receive grief counseling at low and/or reduced even for free rates.  You may consider doing things in his honor, being kind, paying it forward, starting a tree-planting drive, or another event to honor him his legacy. 

Dr. Joi Latson
Dr. Joi Latson
Lets start your journey today!

Hi! There are support groups to join! I facilitate grief groups at trauma resolution center. Individuals are free to join if you live in Fl. Feel free to call 305-374-9990 to ask when the next grief group will begin. They are virtual

Dr Traci Kochendorfer
Dr Traci Kochendorfer
Time for you to " Claim IT" with over 15 years in health and wellness, Ph.D Psy.D D.D. F.P.L.C. recognized on TV and Magazines,

Prayer online requests.  Search for free spiritual support for grief.  

Michele Ramey
Michele Ramey
MRTherapy, LLC- Because Help Is One Of A Kind
I'll help you! Let's work something out! Email me! If I can't help you I will help you with a referral for someone else who might be able to help. 

Or call the back of your insurance card and see if you can get in touch with a community mental health center that helps clients who can't afford normal prices for therapy. Or google a College/University near you that has a therapy or counseling program and they have a clinic on campus. I was the manager of mine and at the time, I had a client only paying $1 per session. They will try to help you as much as they can. Hopefully this helps!
Chris Sheehan
Chris Sheehan
Let's build upon your INNER STRENGTH so you can HEAL, GROW, THRIVE, and live a life you love! www.InnerStrengthTherapyLLC.com

Grief can be confusing, and it can be hard to know who to talk to and how you are supposed to feel. It can be helpful to talk to a trusted adult to get support with talking to your family  about your need for counseling at this difficult time. You can find free resources and support online at:

-https://whatsyourgrief.com

-www.GriefNet.org

-The Dougy Center at https://www.tdcschoolkit/org/teens

Audrey ONeal
Audrey ONeal
Bi-lingual Psychotherapist and HeartMath Certified Practitioner

My condolences to you. Dealing with the loss of a loved one is certainly an  emotionally devastating experience particularly in the early stages of grief. Healing from grief can include counseling, but also attending grief support groups can be helpful. Generally, there is no cost for attending a group apart from a voluntary donation.The universality of experience as well as the cohesion that happens between members contributes to healing in a significant way. During a pandemic, meetings may have been cancelled. However, you can also find support in attending online grief support groups. Compassionate Friends  is an organization which helps families deal with the death of a child, but their website provides excellent resources for related groups you might want to explore that may  lead you to an active online support group. All the best to you.

Kaileen McMickle, MS, LPC
Kaileen McMickle, MS, LPC
Licensed Professional Counselor

It's really admirable that you are reaching out to get help for something that can be very hard to deal with on your own.

Many counselors work based off a sliding-scale, meaning they may lower their fees to meet client's needs.  This can vary by location and therapist availability.  Another option is to try searching for counselors that would consider working with you probono.  There's no harm in asking!

It also may be helpful to check with your insurance company to see what services they cover and what their copay is.  

If it turns out that you are unable to find what you need, there are still many online support groups you can search via Google and/or Facebook that are specifically geared toward loss of loved ones.

Ian Palombo
Ian Palombo
#ThoughtMediator & #LifeUntangler

Feeling profound sadness after the death of a loved one? Experiencing excessive guilt about something left unsaid or undone? Are you gripped with fear? Caught in a cycle of anxiety, helplessness, or panic? Having trouble resuming a normal life with grief and pain as your constant companions? Grief counseling could help you understand what's happened and provide professional help and support through it.

Learn to cope with their grieving experience.

Grief is a natural human response to loss. That doesn’t mean the loss of a loved one isn’t an intense and at times desolate experience. While painful experiences are normal during this time, your emotions may feel trapped on a non-stop roller coaster. You may experience downs and deeper downs interspersed with periods of brief respite.

You can learn to express and come to terms with the broad range of emotions involved in the grieving process, from those that you may expect — sadness, loneliness, exhaustion -  to those that come as a surprise, such as relief, anger, and a sense of confusion. We offer a variety of therapeutic approaches to best support you and work with you as an equal collaborator to empower and engage your healing.

Loss is a very personal journey, with some finding it more difficult than others. While grieving for the same person can often foster compassion and connection among family and friends, it’s also common for the grieving to struggle with anger, conflict, a lack of understanding, or an inability to fully share your feelings with others. Grief and bereavement counseling can provide you a much-needed safe space to work through your struggles with a caring, nonjudgmental professional.

Do any of these describe you? 

• You’re struggling to come to terms with a loss
  • You feel overwhelmed with grief, fear, despair, or worry
  • Your faith seems shattered and you feel abandoned at your time of greatest need
  • You feel alone as everyone else seems to have moved on without you
  • You want to live a happier, more connected life
  • You’d like professional support to better cope through the grieving process

A counselor may offer the support, guidance, and expert care you need. In grief and bereavement counseling we work with you toward lessening the pain so you can function well in your post-loss life. We listen with empathy, discuss ways to deal with unhelpful and unhealthy thoughts and behaviors, and teach you techniques to manage distress and enable you to move forward. 

Dr. Melissa Valentina
Dr. Melissa Valentina
Honor Yourself and Live Your Truth

If you connect with your therapist and can say whatever you want to say and not be judged. If you feel like things, situations, your outlook are shifting for you. 

Dr. Timothy Paul
Dr. Timothy Paul
'man'; Online - "Natural Health Consultant and Coach"

Y'know, to see a man you've loved and care for pass on must make ya' want to cry and weep a bunch, don't it?

And, may I say to you that... (as I've long since said)... if you need to mourn, take about a week or so and mourn like your life depended on it.  I mean, get to weeping, gnashing, moaning, crying, solemnness, and reflection.

And then, after about a week or so, reflect on the man as if he were a well-beloved traveler... sent off on a wondrous journey that will consume and encapsulate his entire awareness... and...

Rather than expression vibrations of fatigue, sadness, and anger, send him the finest recollections and images you have of him, and regard him fondly...

For, I think you will realize that the dead are not gone forever, but are actually extraordinarily active... and when he sees what you express out from within yourself, he experiences it himself (probably more than you know); so, why not send the very best you have out to him :)

If you are currently feeling suicidal or are in crisis, call...  (more)If you are currently feeling suicidal or are in crisis, call 911 or proceed to your local emergency room. All written by 'i': 'man'; is [My] Property;
Christina McGrath Fair
Christina McGrath Fair
"Enlightenment is when a wave realizes it is the ocean." -Thich Nhat Hanh

I am sorry for your loss. I understand the difficulty of needing help and not having financial resources. In some areas, you can dial 211 and find resources in the area that may be free of cost or low cost. In addition, often hospitals and community centers, churches, etc. have support groups. These are often free and many include grief and loss issues. Finally, there are some therapists who work on sliding scales and even sometimes offer pro bono sessions for clients. Hopefully some of these leads work out for you so that you can get the support that you need.

Pamela Suraci
Pamela Suraci
Build on your strengths, grow in your challenge areas and improve your life!

Losing someone you love, someone who has been there from your very first days, is really hard.  Look for a local hospice support organization in your community - grief groups and counseling are often available through these centers.  Don't just tough it out and wait for your sadness to fade.  Your grandfather would not want that for you.  Take extra good care of yourself and get some support

Maggi Horseman
Maggi Horseman
Unconscious material, symbols, and self-knowledge

Your local hospice will have grief support groups and free community counseling available with bereavement counselors who are expects with grief and loss. 

The information above is intended as general information...  (more)The information above is intended as general information based on minimal information, and does not constitute health care advice. This information does not constitute communication with a counselor/therapist nor does it create a therapist-client relationship nor any of the privileges that relationship may provide. If you are currently feeling suicidal or are in crisis, call 911 or proceed to your local emergency room. I’m so sorry about the death of your grandfather. Oftentimes, a death can bring up many questions and understanding how to navigate grief can be a confusing and daunting task. There are hospice organizations all over the country. You can try by going to the National Hospice & Palliative Care Organization website. Also, there are religious organizations that have bereavement groups as well.
Angela Topcu
Angela Topcu
Psychotherapist, specializing in Grief, Anxiety and Self-Esteem

Hello,

I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your grandpa. My suggestion would be to look into community mental health agencies in your area. Sometimes they can offer low-fee counseling. You can also check the hospitals in your area because they may offer free or low-fee bereavement support groups, which can be very helpful. Lastly, you may want to look into reading some books about grief as they can help you understand the general effects of grief and feel comforted that you are not alone. Lastly, some therapists offer sliding scale, or reduced fee so it doesn't hurt to call some local therapists to see if they offer could offer a very low-fee. I hope this helps! Please take good care of yourself. Grief is so difficult but please know the pain will ease up over time. 

Warmly,

Angela Topcu, MFT

Amelia Mora Mars
Amelia Mora Mars
Hi, I'm Amelia. I help overwhelmed, stressed out teen girls and women find peace again.

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. He must have been very special to you and it definitely makes sense that you are having a hard time with it. 

Counseling may be an option if you have a university near you with a graduate marriage and family therapist program. Graduate students provide counseling at a very low cost as part of their traineeship.  Here is an example... http://www.clucounseling.org/.  Another possibility is a support group for bereavement and loss. Many are free. 

I wish you the best towards healing your heart.  

Gwendolyn Nelson-Terry
Gwendolyn Nelson-Terry
www.GwendolynNelsonTerry.com

I'm sorry you lost your grandpa.  Some things that may help you through this tough time are to journal or write about special memories you have of your grandpa.  You could also journal about your feelings of loss and how you miss him.  Another thing that might help is to talk with a friend or family member.  Sharing special memories of the person you lost can help you to grieve.

If you would like to pursue counseling I would suggest doing an internet search for grief groups in your area.  Sometimes hospitals or hospice centers will offer them for free or low cost.  You can also do an internet search for non-profit counseling clinics in your area.  Many cities and towns will have a non-profit clinic that can provide low cost counseling, it might be worth checking into.