I have difficulty with communication

I am a really shy person. I'm currently in a graduate program which requires lots of presentations, but they always make me feel stressed out and less confident. How can I get more confident?

Frank Walker
Frank Walker
I help couples manage the bumpy road called marriage. Whether your marriage needs a tune up, a major overhaul or just a flat tire changed. I can help.

Wow, congratulations on being in a masters program. You are in a unique place. So few have reached that level. You should give yourself a pat on the back.

Confidence is not something that comes naturally. But can and does come with practice.

Having gone through two masters programs I can sympathize with your your dilemma. 

So how is the stress affecting you?

Is it serious enough to stop you from presenting or is it just "butterflies"?

There are many ways of dealing with the anxiety and stress. Much depends on how serious the stress is.

So here are a few ideas:

1. Practice in front of a mirror.

Sounds strange but the practice helps.

2. Ask some friends to listen to your presentations. 

Not so much for their input as to just get used to presenting.

3. Focus on the material you are presenting. 

The subject matter is what you want to get across. Step away from your nerves and get into the facts you want to present. Let the material you present be the focus. 

4. Remember everyone else is just as nervous as you. 

Share your fears with some of your classmates and gain support from them. Focus on a friendly face during the presentation. Be a support to them in return.

5. "Fake it, till you make it". 

Yes it sounds blunt. 

But sometimes that's what it takes. Even if you feel like it, you won't die.

So much more can be discussed with a competent counselor. Take the time to let a professional help you work through this.

Again you have come a long way to be in a graduate program. Congratulations you have done great work so far. It's just one step at a time, take the steps.

Amy Nolan
Amy Nolan
Your journey to wellness starts here!

A good way to start is the language or "self talk" that is happening inside your mind.  Looking at your question, when it is said that the presentations "make me feel stress" you are giving the responsibility of the stress to the presentations and taking that away from your self.  The presentations cannot give or take away your stress, that's something only you can do and you can do it!   What language can you change in your self talk?  For example, are you saying "I can't speak in front of an audience! I'll fail?"  That sounds a lot different than "I studied my butt off and if I practice speaking out loud, I can ace this presentation!"  Although this is a short answer, I do believe that counseling will help you overcome these stressful feelings and bring out your inner confidence.   

Krista Harper, MA, LMFT
Krista Harper, MA, LMFT
Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist in Georgia and Hawaii

First of all, way to go in stretching yourself out of your comfort zone! You are sure to grow through all of this practice presenting to your peers, and that in itself will help to grow your confidence over time. In the meantime, do whatever you can to help yourself feel prepared for each presentation. Do your work ahead of time so that you feel well-informed on your topic, and then spend the days leading up to your presentation practicing. Do your presentation in the mirror, while you are driving (if it won't distract you from the road), and practice in front of a friend. On the day of the presentation, eat a balanced meal, get a pep talk from a supportive friend, use deep breathing to keep your body calm, and remind yourself that you are prepared. You got this!

Have you tried rehearsing to yourself or a trusted friend what you will present to the class?   

The more confident you feel in a safe space, the more chance there will be of making the same presentation to a larger group.

Giving presentations is not necessarily a difficulty with communication.   It has more to do with performance than expressing yourself clearly.

Practice, practice, and practice, until you see yourself improve in how you present.

Also, keep in mind that whatever anxiety you may feel about making a mistake, the audience is almost alway much more forgiving than the person who feels anxious.

Anxiety heightens fear, so whatever concerns you have, check if they are growing from anxiety instead of a realistic assessment of your abilities or audience receptivity.

Good luck!

Darlene Viggiano
Darlene Viggiano
Let Your Inner Light Shine!

I can offer you hypnosis for confidence in presentations, via Skype, if you're in Cali.