How do I pick which parents house I want to live at?

My mom and dad got divorced four years ago. I had to finish out the school year with my dad, and now they are deciding which place is best for me. I can't choose. How can I choose if I love both places?

If you've already stated to your parents that you'd like your opinion to be considered, and listed the key areas you'd like them to keep in mind when making a final decision as to which house you will live, then you've done all you possibly and reasonably can do.

Since you wrote that you have difficulty to decide in which parents home you prefer to live, then even if you had free choice of whose house in which to live, are you not better off with the decision made by them on your behalf?

Lauren Ostrowski, MA, LPC, NCC, BC-TMH, CCTP, CCH

I don't know how old you are, but depending on that, you may be able to talk with them about spending some time in both places. Even parents who live in different states can do that sometimes. It's not as frequent as spending one week at one house and the next week and the other, but I know that it happens.

If you can talk with both of your parents about how you would like to live in both places, maybe you can all work out some kind of agreement.

The information above is intended as general information...  (more)The information above is intended as general information based on minimal information, and does not constitute health care advice. This information does not constitute communication with a counselor/therapist nor does it create a therapist-client relationship nor any of the privileges that relationship may provide. If you are currently feeling suicidal or are in crisis, call 800-273-8255, call 911, or proceed to your local emergency room.