How do I deal with the break off of my engagement?

I got engaged, and everything was going well. Things went downhill at some point, and I broke off the engagement due to an opportunity to go to college. After that, I found out she had been cheating on me. I think about her all the time now, and we have been communicating on and off, but my friends/family don't know.

Somehow you knew the marriage wouldn't have a good start if your fiancé was cheating on you.

Congrats on your intuition and following your intuition.

An engagement breakup is full of disappointment and sometimes talking about the particular points help the couple to clarify and possibly set the relationship on new terms or feel more confident in the breakup.

I suggest you identify what topics re the relationship you'd like to clear up with your ex.

If both of you are having touch and go conversation which doesn't address the deeper and more troubled areas which led to the cheating and breakup, there is a chance you both will go down a similar road of casual and light conversation which hits the wall of the deeper obstacles between both of you.

Your friends and family don't need to know anything until you feel ready to tell them what you decide to tell them.