How can I tell if my spouse had sex with a prostitute?

My spouse visited the red light district a couple of years back in Amsterdam. After he got back from the trip he got me tested for stds. In the aftermath he has provided multiple versions of what happened, from having a total blackout to being touched by a prostitute. How do I know if he had sex?

Amanda Watkins
Amanda Watkins
Seeking employment with a non-profit agency

I've been in this situation before and have some insight to share with you.  In my experience, he was lying and trying to cover it up. By pushing you to std testing, he's distracting you so he can shift the guilt he feels and blame it on you. In a guilty man's mind I believe he's thinking-

...if I cheated...you must have as well....but you're much worse than I because it's okay for me to cheat...but not you...now you're a cheating dirty slut...just like that prostitute 

Men believe they're entitled to treat women and children like property. Often they use intimidation and violence to control us.  

He'll never admit to cheating, he'll never apologize and he'll do it again and again. Truly they don't think it's a big deal, it's just their way of being social. They desperately want us to accept it, perhaps join in the act.

Pamela Suraci
Pamela Suraci
Build on your strengths, grow in your challenge areas and improve your life!

It sounds like you've been living with this uncertainty for those couple years since this happened.  

The reality is you won't ever "know" - mostly because of the various versions your husband has provided you.  

Infidelity, though painful, does not have to kill a marriage.  Secrecy and dishonesty certainly will though.   I encourage you and your husband to seek therapy together with someone who specializes in couples work.  The longer you wait to do so, the more damage is done to whatever connection you have and the greater the distrust will become. Please get qualified help, for your and your husband's sake. 

Mirella Caro-Cortes
Mirella Caro-Cortes
Helping Families & Marriages Repair, Recover & Thrive
Hello,
The truth is that you will never know unless your husband decides to be upfront about the details to gain your trust. 
One thing is for sure though, not knowing and having this uncertainty in your heart will push your husband and you further away from being able to repair the marriage.  The best thing you both can do is seek professional help to navigate this issue and start doing damage control. 
It sounds as if you are committed to this marriage and I am sure your husband is too.  It will take some time and purpose, but you can recover from this if you both commit.  Don't wait and start working the steps to find peace of mind and a way to reconnect with the man you love. 
Mirella~
Image and Likeness Counseling

The only two people who know the answer to your question are your husband and the prostitute.

The question you did and can answer is the reason you would doubt your husband, which is bc of his multiple stories.

Ideally your husband cares to restore your sense of confidence in the stories he tells you.

If you state your doubts and your interest for the truth, ideally he will produce enough evidence of the truth so you will have facts and can make sense of them.   Hopefully the two of you will do this sense making together, especially if he did have sex w the prostititute.

If he's unwilling to care about restoring your trust in him, then this is a different problem entirely.

Amy Higgs OTR/L, CLT, CAPS
Amy Higgs OTR/L, CLT, CAPS
Mobile Occupational Therapist: sensory bus for children with ASD, SPD, ADD/ADHD and trauma

The answer lies in what the outcome will be. How will things end if you find out he had sex with a prostitute? Will you leave? Will you try to work things out? 

The multiple versions are concerning. He seems unable to be truthful and this is damaging your relationship. 

Before considering marital therapy, please find a counselor for yourself. The right therapist can help you uncover what is right for you.