How can I tell If I have depression?

I don't know if I have depression, but I have been very sad. There are nights that I don't sleep. I don't eat all day sometimes, I don't have energy to anything anymore.

These. symptoms are all classic to the diagnosis of depression.

A diagnosis itself doesn't help anyone get better.  

Often people say the word "depression" as though it means something terrible.   The diagnosis of depression can be depressing.

Forget matching symptoms with a diagnosis.

More important to improvement is to know the reason for your sadness.  When people become sad there is a reason for it and knowing this reason is the first step to changing the situation which creates the sadness in you.

Think of depression as a way to slow down and examine aspects of your life and relationships.  If you continue at the same pace of living and didn't stop and examine your life, then you may not notice what needs changing.