How can I make the dreams and voices go away?

For the past four weeks, I've been having nightmares and hearing voices telling me of horrible things. They're not random voices, but rather, the voices of those I care about.

Jennifer Gerlach
Jennifer Gerlach
Your Story Matters

Hearing voices can be a very upsetting experience to have. I want you to know that a lot of people will hear a voice at some point in their lives and that there are many things that cause voices. Oftentimes, significant stress can offset us to have symptoms like this. There also mental and physical health conditions that can do the same. I strongly encourage you to seek out help from both a doctor and a counselor to help you piece together exactly what is causing your voices. I Once you've got that down, you'll know what to work on. In the meantime, here are some strategies to cope with voices

1. Lower your stress levels: Oftentimes stress makes voices worse. What can you do to lower your stress?

2. Get enough Sleep: Like stress, sleep deprivation is an awful trigger for hearing voices

3. Listen to Music; Music can help you focus on another sound

4. Wear headphone or Earplugs

5. Use Your Own Voice; If the voices are saying harsh things to you, it can be tempting to talk back and that's okay if you do. However, you cn also use your own voice through singing, whistling, or the like, which can help drown out the voices

6. Remind Yourself that What the Voices Say is Not True; Sometimes it Helps to Write it Out

7. Draw the Voice or Give it a Name; This can make it less scary and help get it outside of you

8. Keep Track of When You Hear Voices to Identify Triggers; These are situations you can avoid while these are so distressful for you

9. Be Kind to Yourself; When a Voice is Being Cruel to You it is especially important to be kind to yourself

10. Remember that while hearing voices can be disturbing that it is a common experience and something that many people recover from.

Lauren Ostrowski, MA, LPC, NCC, BC-TMH, CCTP, CCH

I would recommend that you talk with a mental health professional near you about the details so you can have some really specific support for what you are going through.

I don't know if you can understand when the voices are saying, but I wonder how you feel about what you are hearing? If the voices are just at night, is it possible that they are part of a nightmare or a dream? 

If you recall your nightmares, consider writing them down so that you can remember their content and work with a mental health professional to look for patterns.

One thing that may help you while you are awake is to try to stay connected to the room you're in. For example, take time to notice your feet on the floor, hips in the chair, and shoulders against the back of the chair. You can also try mindfulness techniques, such as noticing what is around you or changing your breathing patterns. These ideas may help in the meantime prior to having more specific ideas from someone near you.

Thanks for reaching out!

Vivian D. Echevarria Guzman, MSC, LPC-S, NCC
Bilingual Licensed Professional Counselor

Voices and dreams could be suppressed feelings or thoughts that result from negative experiences.  Many times when people go to trough traumatic incidents or changes in their lives without being equipped to manage them and as a result they start having similar symptoms. It is helpful to find a therapist to talk to about those dreams and voices, once you get them out, you could analyze the concerns and fears that they reflect and normalize them, which will also be a good time to discuss their source, if any traumatic event has occurred in your life.  Also, I recommend to journal your dreams, especially if they keep you awake at night, and meditate after, so you could go back to sleep.  

¿Cómo puedo hacer que los sueños y las voces desaparezcan?

Durante las últimas cuatro semanas he estado teniendo pesadillas y escuchando voces que me dicen cosas horribles.  No son voces que hablan al azar, pero voces de las personas que me importan.

Las voces y los sueños pueden ser sentimientos supresos o pensamientos que resultan de experiencias negativas.  Muchas veces estos síntomas surgen cuando las personas pasan por situaciones traumáticas o cambios que no estaban preparados para enfrentar.  Es útil encontrar a un terapeuta con quien puedas hablar de esos sueños y voces, y aprender a normalizar el contenido de los mismos.  También sería un buen momento para discutir cualquier situación traumática que te haya ocurrido. Además te sugiero que escribas tus sueños, especialmente si te mantienen despierto  en la noche, y que medites luego de escribirlos para que puedas volver a dormir.

The information above is intended as general information...  (more)The information above is intended as general information based on minimal information, and does not constitute health care advice. This information does not constitute communication with a counselor/therapist nor does it create a therapist-client relationship nor any of the privileges that relationship may provide. If you are currently feeling suicidal or are in crisis, call 911 or proceed to your local emergency room. La información provista es para propósito general basado en información mínima, no constituye aviso medico. Esta información tampoco constituye una comunicación directa con un consejero o terapista y no crea una relación entre cliente y terapeuta o desarrolla ningún privilegio. Si tiene pensamientos suicidas o está en crisis puede llamar al 911 o visitar su sala de emergencias mas cercana.

Are you in the middle of extreme emotional pressure right now?

Or, is someone with whom you're close, under stress or somehow suffering?

Dreams and nightmares are when our feelings and pressures we feel, try working themselves out without logic and language.

Even though the nightmares are horrible, they are one way your psyche is trying to come to terms w extraordinary difficulty in your life or someone's life whom you feel greatly attached.

Lovener Wightman
Lovener Wightman
NYC Counseling

It's important to take a look inside and find out why you are experiencing these feelings. It could anything and it will change your life to know what your particular issue or trigger is. Please contact us a call with the method that is most comfortable for you.

Darlene Viggiano
Darlene Viggiano
Let Your Inner Light Shine!

Write down your nightmares and discuss them with an analyst or psychotherapist who specializes in dreams, as I do. If you are hearing voices while awake, see a doctor right away.  If the voices are strictly in your dreams, do call for therapy and talk to your caring others about what's happening.