Can I get over PTSD on my own?

I have PTSD from childhood events and other traumas as an adult. I have panic attacks, nightmares, anger, and at times depression. I feel like I'm always on the edge or just apathetic. Can I fix this by myself?

Allison Schickedanz, LMHC
Allison Schickedanz, LMHC
Here to help you through this journey

I am so sorry to here about what you are experiencing.  Your question is kind of difficult to answer, because there are a lot of things that go into what caused you to develop PTSD in the first place.  

You could work on developing ways to work on decreasing the negative responses you are having, such as panic attacks or anger.  This could be done using coping skills, mindfulness and thought reframing.  This could help you to not experience the panic attacks or anger in such intensity.

You could also perhaps join an outpatient mental health group, because they help to teach basic coping skills and provide other helpful resources.  If you want to go this route, look at local behavioral health hospitals or even a local hospital, NAMI.org to find more information about groups or even look on psychologytoday.com to see what you can find near you.  

Lastly, you could work with a therapist if these don't appeal to you.  I know this isn't exactly you fixing it by yourself, but hear me out.  Therapy is a lot of work, but it is also a lot of self-introspection and self-care.  While you go to see someone, you also have to do a lot of work on your own.  A therapist isn't going to make the changes for you, they just give you the tools and skills you need to get to where you want to go.

I hope this helps you and I wish you the best.

Candice Conroy, LMHC
Candice Conroy, LMHC
Find relief from anxiety, depression, and trauma.

When it comes to trauma, especially in the event that it has caused you to develop PTSD, there can be a lot of difficulty in attempting to resolve these issues on your own simply because of how strong your urge to avoid it whenever thoughts of the traumatic experience come up. PTSD is best treated with the help of a mental health professional and if using the Cognitive Processing Approach can be treated in as few as 17 weeks. As for your other concerns, many of these can be treated independently if you have the motivation to manage your way through. Panic attacks and depression, specifically, often respond well to self-help treatment manuals. The Centre for Clinical Interventions is a great online resource for workbooks to help you learn to manage the depression and panic attacks. Whether you decide to work through these concerns on your own or in professional therapy, just know that your panic attacks must be managed prior to addressing your trauma. Hope this is helpful and if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Sonya Wilson
Sonya Wilson
Licensed Professional Counselor

I will not say that you can't but I will say it will be much harder and the time may take much longer.  Getting help and having someone to be there with you through the ups and down of PTSD makes the journey much easier.