Can anxiety make me think I heard something about me?

When I'm around people, I sometimes think someone has made a comment to me or asked me to do something. I will be focusing on something else and then randomly think I hear something about me. I never know if it was actually said.

Kaileen McMickle, MS, LPC
Kaileen McMickle, MS, LPC
Licensed Professional Counselor

Sure can!  Especially social anxiety or anxiety in the form of paranoia.  

Are there any patterns to when or where this happens most?  Does it ever happen with people you feel safe and comfortable with?  Or only when you are in an uncomfortable social setting?  If you notice any patterns, you can focus in on the anxiety surrounding them and build coping skills to help you get through those moments (if that's what would feel helpful).

You could also seek help and talk to someone about what's happening to get a better assessment of your situation and more personalized techniques.  There's many counselors out there that are great at working with anxiety!

Jennifer Gerlach
Jennifer Gerlach
Your Story Matters

Anxiety can absolutely make you think you heard something about you. When we are on high alert, we tend to look for threats and often the greatest threats we experience on a daily basis are social in nature.  To some extent this is normal, for example, when people experience late onset deafness, they often will worry people are talking about them (and usually not good things) because our brains tend to jump to that. Of course, I'm not saying you are going deaf or anything, just giving an example. Counseling can help you work through this anxiety. It may also be helpful to reach out to a counselor to rule out if there may be other things going on. Sometimes things like paranoia can blend in with anxiety, which is a very distressing experience. But both are absolutely treatable. Wishing you the best!

Ben Braaksma
Ben Braaksma
Mental Health Counselor

It sounds like you are having difficulty knowing if people are saying things to you, or if you only thought someone was talking to you, and this is anxiety producing. It's understandable that it could be confusing and/or a bit scary to be unsure if people are speaking to you or not. It's hard to say exactly what is going on from just this description, but if you can work with a competent therapist, you may be able to get more insight into what is happening, get clarity about your social interactions, and develop some ways to deal with the anxiety.