How would I know if I have the right therapist?

How do you know you have the right therapist for you?

How would I know how to "train" my therapist to be able to give me what I need from treatment?

Viviana  Diaz
Viviana Diaz
Licensed Professional Counselor

When looking for a therapist, ask some questions about their background and modalities of treatment. Before meeting a therapist, have an idea of specifics about your therapist preference (Male, Female, Language Preference, of issue specific, (Religion, gender supportive, LGBTQ issues, Trauma, Grief/Loss, Divorce, Coparenting ) Also, it will benefit you to know your goals for therapy, and the difficulties that you are facing. Ask questions about his/her rates, if he/she are currently accepting insurance, and if offering currently tele therapy. Take advantage of free consultations and get a sense if you feel comfortable with therapist, and do check therapist profiles (Psychology Today, Latinx Therapy among others). Different therapists have different niches and specialties feel free to explore the person who matches more with what you want to accomplish. 

The information above is intended as general information...  (more)The information above is intended as general information based on minimal information, and does not constitute health care advice. This information does not constitute communication with a counselor/therapist nor does it create a therapist-client relationship nor any of the privileges that relationship may provide. If you are currently feeling suicidal or are in crisis, call 911 or proceed to your local emergency room. I would definitely encouraged you to start a conversation with her around your concerns from a place of love and care without judgment. Try to listen her perspective, and if she also is aware of the impact in her mood. If she is concerned about what is going on in her life, then you can offer and specialist to support her in the process. If not, continue checking in with her. You did not mention her age, but if she is a minor (Under 18 years old) you can also bring it up with general doctor to have an anxiety/depression assessment that can lead to more specific data about her difficulties and referred to a specialist.

View 123 other answers

More Answers