How do I help my husband get over his drinking addiction?

Jason Lynch, MS, LMHC, LCAC, ADS
Jason Lynch, MS, LMHC, LCAC, ADS
Individual & Couples Therapy

Ultimately, your family member must make the decision for themselves that they are ready to stop using drugs and alcohol. Family members can offer support by helping to research and schedule treatment or counseling. Do not enable, set firm boundaries, and establish a united front. Take care of yourself. Attend Al-Anon or Nar-Anon meetings. While I hope that every person with a substance use disorder finds recovery, the sad truth is that not all will. However, family members still need to have their own recovery that is independent of their loved one. Family members frequently benefit from individual counseling, too.

The information above is intended as general information...  (more)The information above is intended as general information based on minimal information, and does not constitute health care advice. This information does not constitute communication with a counselor/therapist nor does it create a therapist-client relationship nor any of the privileges that relationship may provide. If you are currently feeling suicidal or are in crisis, call 911 or proceed to your local emergency room.

View 4 other answers

More Answers