No matter what I do, my mom will almost always find something wrong with it

My mother has Alzheimer's and she has become so nasty and mean to everyone and she always asks for unrealistic, silly or meaningless items. I get so frustrated and angry, but then I feel guilty because I know it probably isn’t her fault. How can I cope with feeling like this?

Viviana  Diaz
Viviana Diaz
Licensed Professional Counselor

My love lots of empathy for you and your mother. I am not sure if you are taking care of her or not, but it is difficult to see people we love change. I think that your anger speaks about you may be frustrated with the mother you cannot have right now. This is also a loss as well. Your mother and her condition may impact her more with time. I think it is important for you to seek support with medical providers for guidance. They may be able to offer you connection to support groups for family members. Your mother is experiencing an illness that is also changing your life. If you are unable to be connected, find a therapist on your own to support you through your own feelings. Wish you the best for you and your mother. 

The information above is intended as general information...  (more)The information above is intended as general information based on minimal information, and does not constitute health care advice. This information does not constitute communication with a counselor/therapist nor does it create a therapist-client relationship nor any of the privileges that relationship may provide. If you are currently feeling suicidal or are in crisis, call 911 or proceed to your local emergency room. I would definitely encouraged you to start a conversation with her around your concerns from a place of love and care without judgment. Try to listen her perspective, and if she also is aware of the impact in her mood. If she is concerned about what is going on in her life, then you can offer and specialist to support her in the process. If not, continue checking in with her. You did not mention her age, but if she is a minor (Under 18 years old) you can also bring it up with general doctor to have an anxiety/depression assessment that can lead to more specific data about her difficulties and referred to a specialist.

View 19 other answers

More Answers