How can I deal with my posttraumatic stress disorder?

I feel angry, anxious, and depressed. The PTSD I suffer is from a past relationship.

Kaileen McMickle, MS, LPC
Kaileen McMickle, MS, LPC
Licensed Professional Counselor

I second the suggestion to find a therapist who is trained in Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT)!

I'll also add that all you describe is very common in PTSD.  Emotionally, it's an exhausting condition and can take a lot of energy from the body.  Depression is a common consequence of PTSD since many people experience functional repercussions (impacts in work, social, and familial settings).   It's not fun to feel constantly terrified.  

To search for a therapist trained in what you are dealing with, it could be helpful to specifically search for folks who specialize in treating PTSD.  You can do that through Google searches, or you can also head over to Psychology Today and Therapy Den.  Both sites are therapist directories where you can narrow down the type of therapist you are looking for, as well as other factors like insurance they accept and location.

You are on the right track coming here so keep up the search!

The information above is intended as general information...  (more)The information above is intended as general information based on minimal information, and does not constitute health care advice. This information does not constitute communication with a counselor/therapist nor does it create a therapist-client relationship nor any of the privileges that relationship may provide.   If you are currently feeling suicidal or are in crisis, call 911 or proceed to your local emergency room.

View 1 other answer

More Answers