Can I get over PTSD on my own?

I have PTSD from childhood events and other traumas as an adult. I have panic attacks, nightmares, anger, and at times depression. I feel like I'm always on the edge or just apathetic. Can I fix this by myself?

Allison Schickedanz, LMHC
Allison Schickedanz, LMHC
Here to help you through this journey

I am so sorry to here about what you are experiencing.  Your question is kind of difficult to answer, because there are a lot of things that go into what caused you to develop PTSD in the first place.  

You could work on developing ways to work on decreasing the negative responses you are having, such as panic attacks or anger.  This could be done using coping skills, mindfulness and thought reframing.  This could help you to not experience the panic attacks or anger in such intensity.

You could also perhaps join an outpatient mental health group, because they help to teach basic coping skills and provide other helpful resources.  If you want to go this route, look at local behavioral health hospitals or even a local hospital, to find more information about groups or even look on to see what you can find near you.  

Lastly, you could work with a therapist if these don't appeal to you.  I know this isn't exactly you fixing it by yourself, but hear me out.  Therapy is a lot of work, but it is also a lot of self-introspection and self-care.  While you go to see someone, you also have to do a lot of work on your own.  A therapist isn't going to make the changes for you, they just give you the tools and skills you need to get to where you want to go.

I hope this helps you and I wish you the best.

The information above is intended as general information...  (more)The information above is intended as general information based on minimal information, and does not constitute health care advice. This information does not constitute communication with a counselor/therapist nor does it create a therapist-client relationship nor any of the privileges that relationship may provide.   If you are currently feeling suicidal or are in crisis, call 911 or proceed to your local emergency room.

View 2 other answers

More Answers