How can I cope with work related stress better?

I am in a high stress position for a tech company. I am being overworked and underpaid for my contributions and it is not only giving me anxiety, but also demoralizing.

What can I do to manage my stress?

Reggie Smith, LPC, CTP, CCATP
Reggie Smith, LPC, CTP, CCATP
Texas Couples, Anxiety, Trauma therapist

Hola. I understand.  I worked 27 years in a sales & management environment in corporate before transitioning towards my area of purpose.  I hear a couple different things here.  One, I hear that your job is stressful (I know, thanks Capt Obvious).  Secondly, that you are not compensated based on your appraisal of your contributions, Third, and maybe the core or at least closest to it - not being recognized or seen for your contributions.  Did I get that right?  if so, then I see the link between being demoralized and being stressed/having anxiety.  

Be curious and ask yourself, "What irks me the very most?", "What is the one thing that could be done that would help me feel better" Typically money is not the root of many workplace issues. Often its direct supervisor, not being valued (ding?!), harassment, misaligned values, favoritism, and then money does come up.  

As a mental health professional, we believe in empowering the individual to have increased agency over their situations/lives.  You can practice and then bring up the issue to your supervisor(s) but first chat through it with a good friend or counselor or coach.  They can give some specific things to do based on more detail of your situation.  

The information above is intended as general information...  (more)The information above is intended as general information based on minimal information, and does not constitute health care advice. This information does not constitute communication with a counselor/therapist nor does it create a therapist-client relationship nor any of the privileges that relationship may provide.   If you are currently feeling suicidal or are in crisis, call 911 or proceed to your local emergency room.

View 10 other answers

More Answers