Is it possible for a couple to overcome cheating if it only happened once?

My fiancé and I have been together for 3 years and our relationship has always been good. The only issue we had was that he felt like he wasn't getting enough sexual attention from me.

I recently found out he cheated on me with another women. He says he wants his family back but I'm confused on what to do. Is it possible for us to get past the cheating, or should I just move on?

Marissa Talarico
Marissa Talarico
Sex and Relationship counseling

First off, let's start with really validating the potential emotional pain you are feeling right now. There is generally no lack of uncertainty, anxiety, fear, sadness, and anger. These are all normal emotions and being allowed to feel them is the beginning of the healing process. It might be helpful to talk about these feeling with your fiancé, a friend or a counselor.

Now to get to your primary question. Can a relationship move past infidelity? The short answer is yes. A bit longer of an explanation is that is sounds like you and your fiancé had pieces of a solid foundation to base a relationship on. For many couples they encounter a primary challenge, sometimes that's money, or parenting and for some it's sexuality. If you and your fiancé are both committed to balancing the positive aspects of your relationship while improving the challenges than it's definitely possible to move past this. This is not an easy process and for many couples takes months or years of healing while engaging in relationship counseling. 

Good luck to you and your continues healing and growth!

The information above is intended as general information...  (more)The information above is intended as general information based on minimal information, and does not constitute health care advice. This information does not constitute communication with a counselor/therapist nor does it create a therapist-client relationship nor any of the privileges that relationship may provide. If you are currently feeling suicidal or are in crisis, call 911 or proceed to your local emergency room.

View 10 other answers

More Answers