How can I learn to be content and at peace?

I recently broke up with my boyfriend After being together for over 4 years. I truly believe I did the right thing, but omehow being single now has made me very needy and unsure of myself.

I am seeing someone casually and I am losing my mind with anxiety about how he feels about me and this need for validation.

How can I learn to be content and at peace with myself regardless of my career, relationship status, etc?

Viviana  Diaz
Viviana Diaz
Licensed Professional Counselor
Endings in relationship are difficult, and my heart goes out to you. It is difficult to start again, but not impossible. After a break up we may loss our identify and grieve what could have been, and some other aspects that are brought up to the surface. You recognize that you have become needy and unsure. I wonder, if you have grieved properly. The end of a relationship can trigger our inner insecurities, and I think it would benefit you to go within yourself and explore where are these feelings coming from.  Your anxiety may be trying to tell you something that you needs your attention. This is work that you need to take time with, and I am not sure other entanglements helps you to heal or distract you from going deeper into healing regardless of your status, career. Being content means a state of openness and peace, and acceptance. Wish you healing and hope!
The information above is intended as general information...  (more)The information above is intended as general information based on minimal information, and does not constitute health care advice. This information does not constitute communication with a counselor/therapist nor does it create a therapist-client relationship nor any of the privileges that relationship may provide. If you are currently feeling suicidal or are in crisis, call 911 or proceed to your local emergency room. I would definitely encouraged you to start a conversation with her around your concerns from a place of love and care without judgment. Try to listen her perspective, and if she also is aware of the impact in her mood. If she is concerned about what is going on in her life, then you can offer and specialist to support her in the process. If not, continue checking in with her. You did not mention her age, but if she is a minor (Under 18 years old) you can also bring it up with general doctor to have an anxiety/depression assessment that can lead to more specific data about her difficulties and referred to a specialist.

View 14 other answers

More Answers