My past is holding me back from my future. How can I get my life back?

There are issues from my past that have me very heavily burdened in my heart. I've been torn for so many years and I need help so I can move on with my life.

I experienced trauma when I was 8 years old and I did come out about it until I was 40.

Now I know this is what's holding me back on my happiness. I've met a very loving and caring man but because I'm holding on to these things from my past I’m pushing him away.

How can I get my life back?

Naomi Krajewski
Naomi Krajewski
Care. Compassion. Collaboration.
Being out about childhood trauma is the bravest thing a person can do, and the fact that you are clear about what happened to you is a good sign that you are ready to heal.  Recovering from past harm can be done with a therapist who is well-trained in trauma recovery. This type of therapy is most effective when done in three stages. The first stage is comprised of practices that help the client learn to self-soothe - these can include mindfulness practices, breathing exercises, and guided visualizations. Once a core sense of safety has been established, it can be helpful to process what happened. You may want to use the tools of traditional talk therapy in this stage, which is helpful. You may also want to work somatically (with bodily sensations) since the trauma is held physically as well as mentally and needs to be processed there as well. The last stage is integration, where we update our relationship to self and other  and the past can finally feel like it has no hold on the present. 
The information above is intended as general information...  (more)The information above is intended as general information based on minimal information, and does not constitute health care advice. This information does not constitute communication with a counselor/therapist nor does it create a therapist-client relationship nor any of the privileges that relationship may provide. If you are currently feeling suicidal or are in crisis, call 911 or proceed to your local emergency room.

View 19 other answers

More Answers