What is the proper procedure if your child's therapist is leaving the practice to work elsewhere?

Mark Morris, LCSW
Mark Morris, LCSW
Therapist and Author of Living Yes

Ask the therapist first.  They will either tell you how to continue with them in the new job or give you a referral.  They also will help your child with the transition.  

If that fails, ask the agency where your child sees the therapist about next steps.  There's an agency director or equivalent who will probably be happy to help you. 

If that fails, and I hope it doesn't, consider finding a therapist on your own.  

If the therapist is not helping or is behaving unethically, contact the state agency which issues the therapist's license for help and to let them know about your experience.  That will protect the next parent.  

Good luck.  ~Mark (www.MarkMorrisLCSW.com and www.LivingYes.org)

The information above is intended as general information...  (more)The information above is intended as general information based on minimal information, and does not constitute health care advice. This information does not constitute communication with a counselor/therapist nor does it create a therapist-client relationship nor any of the privileges that relationship may provide.   If you are currently feeling suicidal or are in crisis, call 911 or proceed to your local emergency room.

View 5 other answers

More Answers