Why did my boyfriend hit himself in the face during an argument?

When I got home, my boyfriend and I got into an argument. He got upset and he started hitting his face. That is the first time he has ever done that, but I would be lying if I said that didn't scare me. I locked myself in the room.

Sounds scary to watch.  I agree with you!

Maybe he felt so overwhelmed by anger, hurt and frustration that he went back to an old behavior from his past in which someone hit him for having strong emotions.

Now that the incident is past, bring up the topic to him so the two of you can discuss it.

Just the fact of you having empathy and caring what he was feeling at the time, may be restorative to him.

At the very least, you may find out exactly what the answer is to your question as to why he did this in the first place!