My wife outed me to her sister

What should I do when we see each other?

Traci Lowenthal
Traci Lowenthal
LGBTQAffirmative Therapist

I am so sorry this happened.  Sharing a part of your private life without your permission can be so painful.  I might suggest (depending on your relationship) reaching out to your sister and discussing this (or setting boundary that you don't want to discuss your private life).  I might also speak with your wife and share how hurt you are and what you need to happen moving forward to begin to heal.  

Emily Forsythe
Emily Forsythe
Helping clients be their most authentic selves

Echoing others here, I'm sorry, she shouldn't have. Hopefully, you will have a conversation (or, in reality, several conversations) about relationship expectations of privacy~ Are there things your wife would prefer you not share with her family? Without exploring what is or isn't okay through healthy dialog, it's entirely possible she felt her sister was 'in the circle' of people she could share this with. All that said, though ... now that you've been outed, you have an opportunity to be more authentically you: what will you do with it? 

Sarah McIntyre
Sarah McIntyre
Sarah McIntyre, M.Ed., LPC

I am so sorry that this happened.  Nobody deserves to be outed without their permission.  

I would encourage you to get in touch with someone who is supportive and accepting and plan to touch base with them after you see your wife's sister.  You can also plan to take some time for self care after you see her.  For example, if you enjoy bike rides, plan on taking a bike ride afterward.  Plan to do something that feels nurturing and caring.  Best of luck!