My relationship is suffering from severe abandonment issues

I feel as though I'm suffering severe abandonment issues stemming from childhood. I convince myself I'm not worthy of happiness, and I’m always afraid I'm doing something wrong. It's as if I create little scenarios in my mind, and I start to believe them.

Heather Bradley
Heather Bradley
Helping you heal from trauma and live meaningful lives

This is an understandable response to early childhood trauma and loss.  Oftentimes when we have overwhelming or difficult experiences as a child including poor caregiving, the ways we managed and the feelings we had then show up in our lives as adults.  Especially when we get close to someone, it mirrors our early experiences with caregivers in early life.  So....our body, nervous system, and emotions respond in the same way.  They feel as if what we experienced when we were little is happening now and they go into full force to manage and protect us.  Sometimes the ways that happens can feel pretty bad and we can stuck in these loops of old beliefs about ourselves.  Therapy is a great way to interrupt these patterns, process the early experiences, and be able to be in the present with your current relationships.  It is very possible to shift this cycle and also have meaningful healing from the experiences that caused so much hurt and distress from childhood.

Laura Cassity, LMSW, LMAC
Laura Cassity, LMSW, LMAC
Pathways to Healing & Recovery, LLC "Where your voice is heard"

I would like to offer my compassion that you are struggling with with these feelings. With the information provided and not knowing what your childhood was like or what you've experienced, I will say that from my experience working with people, these feelings are normal, and a normal part  of the process  of healing and just by posting your question tells me you're aware and desire to change this. Very good! I commend your strength. Your feelings are not uncommon and the feelings of abandonment, or second guessing or loss of happiness are also not uncommon.  It's also not uncommon for these issues to arise and trickle into our adult life and relationships. 

Again, with little information about your situation, it is hard to give an exact answer. However, those who have experienced a dysfunctional childhood or trauma, often present with the issues and feelings you've described. The great news, is that with good therapy, you can regain your happiness, self worth and begin to feel  empowered, you deserve to be happy. Be patient, gentle and kind  to yourself. I would encourage you to begin with searching for a licensed therapist in your area, maybe go for a consultation session  and simply see how your feel about it. Therapy can be incredibly helpful and life changing. I wish you the very best! 

Laura Cassity, LMSW, LMAC 

Katrina  Whitehead MA, LPCC
Katrina Whitehead MA, LPCC
To provide hope and healing to individuals

I’m glad that you are reaching out for help. What you are experiencing is common for people who have experienced abuse, neglect, or other forms of trauma. When people experience trauma they develop a feeling of shame and start becoming self critical. Therapy can help regulate these thoughts and feelings of abandonment so they are not so overwhelming. Negative self talk can be extremely  exhausting. You are already starting the healing process by becoming self aware and seeking help. 

Best wishes

Katrina Whitehead MA LPCC