My daughter isn't acting her age

My daughter seemed to be developing at a normal rate until about the age of 10. She then started to act younger than she is.

Now she only wants to play with younger kids and she doesn't act her age. I don't know why this is happening. Is this normal?

Manya  Khoddami
Manya Khoddami
I aspire to inspire you to tap into your own inner potentials and transform symptoms to strengths.
This is certainly an important issue to look into, It is always helpful to speak with the child's pediatrician since they are most familiar with the child's developmental history. Also, children tend to regress behaviorally when facing events and interactions they feel to have no control over, this can be as simple as a loss of a pet, a recent move, death in the family,  and/or as serious as sexual abuse, and other things. If you have not spoken to the school that can be a good starting point. 

Good for you to know your daughter's friendship circles and to notice when these have changed.

While friendships are key relationships, they are not the only indicator of someone not developing normally.

Is your observation and opinion that your daughter isn't normal based on other factors or just this one?

If this is the only factor then start with reflecting on what circumstances may be influencing your daughter to socialize with younger kids.

Has she ben ostracized or bullied by her peers and may be retreating to avoid further emotional hurt?

Is she keeping up with her school work?

Sometimes kids who feel overwhelmed by schoolwork will regress into conditions in which they feel more success and control.

Are there family circumstances such as the death of someone with whom your daughter felt close?  

Or, is there a new younger sibling in the family or a younger sibling who due to their own circumstance receives more attention than your daughter may wish for herself.

Once you've reflected on which areas may be affecting your daughter, gently ask her some questions about her comfort with what you theorize may be the source of the problem.

Its also possible that offering her your extra time and interest may increase her sense of self so that she feels secure enough to increase her social time with her age group.