My boyfriend is in the hospital. They won’t tell me what’s wrong and if or when he’s coming back

Eric Ström, JD, MA, LMHC
Eric Ström, JD, MA, LMHC
Attorney & Licensed Mental Health Counselor

I know it can be really tough when a loved one is in the hospital and you aren't being told what is going on.

In general, both Federal and State confidentiality laws prohibit health care providers from giving out private information about patients to non-family members.

Unfortunately, you will probably just have to wait until he is released (or until you can visit him) to find out from him what is going on.

The information above is intended as general information...  (more)The information above is intended as general information based on minimal information, and does not constitute health care nor legal advice. This information does not constitute communication with a counselor/therapist/attorney nor does it create a therapist-client nor attorney-client relationship nor any of the privileges that relationship may provide. If you are currently feeling suicidal or are in crisis, call 911 or proceed to your local emergency room.