Is it okay if I take my friend's pills away?

My friend is abusing her prescription medicine. Even though she told me she didn't have any more pills, I found she has prescriptions for anxiety medications.

Your friend needs to admit they have a problem.  If not no matter how many pills you take they will find a way to get more.  It is also a federal offense to take someone else's medication so if you did take it she could have you arrested.  In other instances it can be more dangerous to take medication away than slowly tapering off of them.  Like anything we put into our system our tolerance builds up and can effect us in different ways.  I would listen to her and discuss why she feels that she needs to be on the medications rather than playing bad cop in this situation.  Encourage her to get help and let her know you re there for her. 

Your good intentions to help your friend stay clean, are very caring about her.

Unless your friend feels like stopping pills,  taking them away will mean she finds them some place else.

The problem that anyone who is addicted to pills has, is that the person is psychologically and at least with xanax, physically addicted.

Taking pills has basically become a standard part of your friend's life.

Her problem is bigger than your ability to care.

If you haven't already done so, tell your friend directly about your opinion on the way she is using pills.

This is not a guarantee that she'll stop.

It isa way of you showing that you care about her.

Offering love and advice are the only things you can do for her.

Meanwhile, knowing she is hurting herself is probably hurting you.

Be sure to keep a sense of balance within yourself.  Offer your concern and know she is the one who must decide to stop using.

Robin Landwehr, DBH, LPCC, NCC
Robin Landwehr, DBH, LPCC, NCC
Mental Health in a Primary Care Setting

Hello! Thank you for your question. I have a worked with many people who have become addicted to benzodiazepines, like Clonazepam. It is a difficult road for people who are trying to become clean. It is also a very difficult road for those who love the person and are trying to be supportive. During those times, it is important to remember to take care of yourself, too.

As for taking your friend's pills, my concern would be the legal ramifications that you could face should you ever be caught with someone else's prescription medication, and especially these types of medications. Our laws have become much more strict surrounding prescription drug sales and possession due to the increase in prescription drug abuse. In addition, people who are in active addiction are likely to find some other means to get their drug, so it would do little to help the overall problem.

I don't know about your friend's family situation, but they may be a better route to take if you are concerned about your friend. They may already be involved, but with your help you may be able to convince your friend to go to treatment willingly. That is usually better.

In many states, there are also involuntary committal processes where a person's family may be able to convince a court to force the person into treatment. This varies from state to state. If your friend's family is not aware of this option, it may be something to look into. It usually does take a relative, or a medical provider, to begin this process if it is available.

I hope this was helpful, and I wish you and your friend well.

Robin J. Landwehr, DBH, LPC, NCC