I think my friend might have depression

She has trouble falling and staying asleep and she's always either extremely hungry or not hungry at all. She also gets angry and feels like crying really easily for no reason. She says she is always "kind of down."

Is this depression? What can I do to help her?

Sounds like signs of someone who is depressed.

Since the person in question is your friend, offer your friendship to listen to any situations or feelings she has about herself and the way her life is going.

Depressed people are often lonely people and feel as though no one around them cares or notices them.  Your willingness to be available to her may lift her spirits.  Feeling loved goes a long way to dissolving depressed feelings.

Also, if in the beginning when you offer to talk, there is a high chance she'll be defensive and turn down your offer.

Try again on another day and then another day.

When people feel depressed they usually shut down.  So you may need a few or several tries before your friend accepts your offer to show her you care about how she is doing.

Also, watch for signs within yourself that your friends' depression is not sinking your emotions.  Depressed people are draining to be around because they often see and talk about only the negatives and drawbacks of situations.