I'm depressed because I want to lose weight

Wendy Bangerter
Wendy Bangerter
Awarefull; an evolution of Mindfulness

Depression is when you know what you need to do but are not doing it. The depression is telling you that are ready to accept who you are. Weight is traditionally an issue of protection and not feeling safe which in and of itself can add to the depression. This process is simple but is challenging to explain or walk someone through on social media. If there is one suggestion I would make it is to start living now, go do what you would do if you had lost the weight. Don't hold yourself back. Little shifts can help you start to make different choices.  When you do these little shifts they create big shifts. 

Of course adding Yoga, and Meditation is very helpful in weight loss. At our facility we have both of these as well as nutrition counseling using a wholistic approach. 

Sonya Wilson
Sonya Wilson
Licensed Professional Counselor

I can relate been there at one point in my life.  Start taking control of your life.  Take small steps by making small changes to your eating and exercise each day.  For example,  drink one extra glass of water,  take one flight of stairs,  park farther away from store...  Some changes help you take control of your depression by changing it to motivation.

Our culture sets a very high standard on being within range of what is considered "normal" weight, that probably more people than you imagine, have faced a similar feeling of not living up to standards of how much to weigh.

Are you actually too heavy for your height and bone structure?

First be sure you're depressed about an actual weight problem and not due to failing a cultural standard that is difficult for most people to reach.

If you truly weigh more than is healthy, then figure out the reason for being depressed about losing weight.

Were you criticized by your parents when young, for all sorts of things, especially appearance?

Do you associate too much weight with self-criticism, sense of failure?

Your question here is very brief so I'm only guessing the possible areas, based on typical ideas people often have about themselves and weight.

Basically, if you view weight loss as a method of self-care, go slow and steady with it, you'll find your way!