How do I overcome my anxierty and depression?

I’m facing severe depression and anxiety and I just feel like I’m going through a lot. This really distracts me and I cant get my mind off the things that are bothering me.

How do I overcome this anxierty and depression?

Stacey Shapiro
Stacey Shapiro
Registered Play Therapist-Supervisor

Life can bring us all kinds of struggles.   Depression and Anxiety are very common reasons people come into counseling.  Both can be debilitating.  Sometimes when life struggles and stresses build up anxiety and depression become prominent.  Learning tools to ride the waves  of life is a core part of counseling.  If you are ready to manage the symptoms and come up with a plan visit staceybshapiro.com for more information.

Sara Makin, M.S.Ed.,NCC
Sara Makin, M.S.Ed.,NCC
#1 Best Selling Author & Counselor

Wanting to make changes and asking for assistance is the first step. Overcoming anxiety and depression is not an easy feat to do on your own, especially if it's been something you have been battling for years.  There are some different routes you may go down in order to start the healing process:

1. Therapy - find a therapist who has a lot of experience with anxiety and depression. You can do this by googling "anxiety depression therapist " in your city.  CounselChat also has a directory of amazing therapists, as does Psychology Today
  2. Medication - Depending on what other symptoms you may be struggling with depends on what medication you will be prescribed. Be 100% honest with the doctor and ask about different side effects or potential risks associated with the medication. You more than likely will be prescribed an SSRI.
  3. Therapy & Medication - The outcomes are very good for those who decide to do both. Medication can help level out out your mood and therapy can help you process through your emotions and keep you accountable for you goals , as you will be seeing your therapist more often than your psychiatrist
  4. Therapy & Homeopathy - Homeopathy could potentially be a good tool to use alongside with therapy in case you are not interested in going down the medication route. Arsenicum album is most commonly given to those who struggle with anxiety and depression.
The choice is yours. My recommendation is to start with therapy and explore your options more in depth with your therapist.

First, be patient because anxiety and depression are rooted in a person's outlook on who they are and how they handle situations and relationships.

Changing these deep major structures in your life takes time to try new ways and see what develops, then fine tune accordingly.

Most commonly, anxiety and depression relate to one's self definition.

Reflect on your own opinion of yourself and whether you'd like making any adjustments to this.   Then figure out what stops or inhibits you from doing this.

Try new ways of thinking and interacting with other people.  The changed impression you make on others will influence your own view of who you are.

In America people take Pharma pills to not feel badly.

If you prefer to make natural, long-lasting change then reflect, read, try therapy if it feels right to you.

Eventually you will be better off this way than to take drugs to hide how you truly feel.