How do I become more open minded or less irritable and happier?

Deana Bieker
Deana Bieker
Winter is Coming.
Greetings, Do you view the world in extremes as black and...  (more)Greetings, Do you view the world in extremes as black and white versus greys? Polarized thinking can often times cause us to become unhappy when we believe we are right and others are wrong. This is especially true with politics and religion since our views are usually more concrete. One way to be more "open minded" is to be mindful that everyone is entitled to their opinion whether you agree with them or not. That is simplistic I know but when we come to appreciate other people's differences and accept them rather than allow them to trigger us they no longer impact us. My challenge for you is the next time you have a situation arise with a topic that causes you frustration or perhaps anger, instead of steering away or arguing your point just ask questions. Engage the other person. Monitor your own reactions and see what comes up. By asking questions your relationship with this other person may change because you have just shown general interest. Your idea about why people choose to believe one way or the other may change as well because you just gave a person a genuine chance to share. Good luck to you. Remember that when our perceptions change then our world changes. The information above is intended as general information based on minimal information, and does not constitute health care advice. This information does not constitute communication with a counselor/therapist nor does it create a therapist-client relationship nor any of the privileges that relationship may provide. If you are currently feeling suicidal or are in crisis, call 911 or proceed to your local emergency room.