How can I be less stressed?

I need help knowing how to deal with stress. What can I do?

Something different works for each of us.

There are the outward answers of self-pampering and making your home and work environment as pleasant as possible.

A deeper level way to decrease stress is through exercise or alternative practices like yoga or tai chi.

If the stress is more deeply rooted than temporarily feeling irritated for a few days, then give yourself some time to reflect and clarify what the meaning of the stress is to you.

Self-understanding and appreciating your efforts to know yourself may decrease stress because you'll be more focused and attentive to who you are.  This will influence you overall to make good decisions for yourself and these will naturally be ones which decrease stress as much as possible.

Kim Hollingdale
Kim Hollingdale
Mind-Body Approaches to Stress, Depression & Anxiety
Our body reacts to stress typically by breathing more shallowly, increasing our heart rate and tensing our muscles - so one thing that I find really effective is to try to do the opposite of that, which sends the signal to our mind that we are relaxed. So that means, taking slower, fuller breaths and trying to relax any areas where we might be gripping our muscles. Check out meditation apps such as 'Breathe', which can talk you through a relaxing breath exercise. I recommend using the app daily, whether you feel stressed or not, and then also using it when you re feeling particular moments of stress - that way you are practicing the skill when you feel calm(wish) and it'll be ready and able to help you when stress hits hard.
Linda Lawless
Linda Lawless
A Safe Place To Be

Learn how to meditate. I recommend a Mindful Based Stress Reduction MBSR program.