Can someone with bipolar disorder feel like they are not themselves, like an observer in their own body and not really in control?

Robin Landwehr, DBH, LPCC, NCC
Robin Landwehr, DBH, LPCC, NCC
Mental Health in a Primary Care Setting

Hello, and thank you for your question. What you are describing sounds like dissociation, which can happen with folks who have bipolar disorder. To a certain extent, all people experience dissociation at some point, but it can become severe for some people. Dissociation takes different forms: 1. the feeling like you are detached from yourself, and 2. The feeling that you are detached from your environment. I would suggest looking up bipolar disorder and dissociation and see if these symptoms seem familiar. If so, you should consider discussing it with a mental health provider.

Be well,

Robin J. Landwehr, DBH, LPCC, NCC

Well, one of the symptoms of bipolar disorder is having times of really high-energy and kind of feeling like they rule the world, so perhaps.

There are also some other things that come to mind when you mention this. For example, the person you are describing could be reacting to something that happened in their past.

It would probably be helpful to speak with a local mental health professional.