Can someone love you and say hurtful things?

Someone I care about told me I'm not teachable and I'm irritating. I just want to be happy and wanted to please the person, but I always fall short it seems.

Pleasing someone certainly does feel satisfying.  

If the other person does not appreciate your effort and good will then this feels dissatisfying.

Offering happiness to someone does not include tolerating mean comments such as the ones you describe here.

Tell the person that you are trying to please them and also tell the person that their comments are hurtful.

If the person said their words with no bad intentions then next time they comment its reasonable to expect these comments to not hurt your feelings.

Keep in mind that your good intentions may not be received in the way you intend them.  Some people, sometimes are insensitive or just plain not interested in being pleased by another person.